POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Prism Bezier spline to natural spline conversion : Re: Prism Bezier spline to natural spline conversion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prism Bezier spline to natural spline conversion
From: Blue Herring
Date: 1 Aug 2008 08:58:48
Message: <48930888$1@news.povray.org>
leroy wrote:
> Rune got me going over my old rounded prism macros. What I'd like to do
> is make a macro that'll round the corners of any prism type. The main
> Idea is to use the Spline function to adjust data points. The trouble is
> that prism uses the Bezier_Spline and Splines use the Natural_Spline.
> Does anybody know how to do conversion between the two?
>        (If there is a conversion )

If it helps, the PointArrays macros in the object collection has a
number of macros dealing with bezier splines.  It doesn't have a natural
  to bezier converter currently (perhaps that would be good for the next
version) but it can convert linear splines in various ways to bezier
ones.  It also has some macros to simulate a bezier spline object, so
perhaps you wouldn't need to use naturals.  I'm pretty sure its not
possible to convert bezier -> natural for all cases, as the natural is
not capable of representing some of the things a bezier can do.

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=PointArrays&version=1.1.1&contributorTag=Blue%20Herring

(Don't mean to keep plugging...)

I've made a number of rounded prism macros as well, all failures to one
degree or another.   Might give it a try again sometime though.  Makes
me wonder if its the cold fusion of the POV-Ray world :)

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring