POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : BUG: +O- pipe progressive output lost in 3.7beta25b ... Any workaround? : Re: BUG: +O- pipe progressive output lost in 3.7beta25b ... Any workaround? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BUG: +O- pipe progressive output lost in 3.7beta25b ... Any workaround?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 31 Jul 2008 18:16:15
Message: <489239af$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Actually implementation of the output would be relatively simple on the
> POV-Ray side, but I guess this feature will get low priority as long as
> there are major bugs to fix...

one approach we could take is to output the raw blocks of pixels in float
format (basically just the raw pixels along with a simple header saying
what the dimensions are) and allow a post-processing pipe to sort it out.

in the simplest form a user could set the block size to the width of the
render and height of one pixel (just hope they aren't using AA!:) so the
program it's piped to would only need to cache lines that are received out
of sequence before converting and outputting them into whatever format is
desired.

We could probably without too much effort provide a filter program that
caches blocks (of whatever dimension) until entire lines are able to be
resolved in the required sequence and then writes them to stdout in a
format usable by other popular unix graphic filters (e.g. netpbm).

in terms of the original poster's requirements, another option is that (if
each render block is large enough to be useful in the following manner) to
have things so that each block is itself a stand-alone PNG file, and the
web page has a matrix of these PNG's so they form a whole image. I.e. you
use the web browser to do the compositing for you ;)

-- Chris