POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! : Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 31 Jul 2008 17:11:40
Message: <48922a8c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>>>   So police officers are not assumed to be ready for emergencies in their
>>> break. Even if a gang is mass raping a woman, the policeman can simply
>>> say
>>> "I'm on a break, not my problem; maybe when my break is over".
>
>> Yep in the same way that ambulance drivers, doctors, and firefighters are
>> not assumed to be ready for emergencies in their break.
>
>   I'm pretty sure a policeman would be sent to jail if it did like
> I described.

Not in the USA. The police have the duty to solve and prevent crimes,
not to prevent all of them from occurring. Which ones they pick and
choose is not exactly a clear cut matter.

summary: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html
actual ruling: http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/gonzalesf122805.pdf