POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Being tactful : Re: Being tactful Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:07:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Being tactful
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Jul 2008 16:09:21
Message: <48921bf1$1@news.povray.org>

>> hundred pounds per year.
>
> You're going to store an entire set of backups on 5 or 10 tapes?  Aren't
> you backing things up every week, or every day?

They want to keep every monthly backup forever. The other tapes get
rotated for a year, and then the whole lot get "archived". So we have
full backups from each month, and then a load of differential backups
from the last few days of the year. Like, WTF?

>> Interestingly, I worked out that based on the dimensions of an LTO
>> tape [not sure if this is with or without case] you can store enough
>> takes in 1 m^2 for 360 years of backups. :^}
>
> Only if you fill the tapes. And a cubic meter of media safe storage is
> pretty expensive.

Yeah, but I was thinking that after a year or two we'd have a whole
*room* full of stuff. Clearly that isn't really the case.

> If you phrase everything as a reasonable question, it's more difficult
> to get upset at the person asking. (Not impossible, mind; see the "shoot
> the messenger" syndrome.)

I don't know about you, but I tend to find that if I ask anything or add
any comments, these are all silently ignored. Because ignoring problems
makes them go away, doesn't it?

>> I suggested MD5 hashes or something would be a good idea. I even
>> suggested a procedure for using 'em...
>
> What's wrong with "comp"?

Does that exist on Windoze?

> Or just a little program to read two files
> and compare the contents, if that's what they're really worried about?

Yeah, we could do that. MD5 has the nice property that it can be written
down on a sheet of paper, and easily checked again later. But for this
particular scenario, a basic file compare would be fine. (We would
probably have to formally test the correctness of the compare program
though!)

>> That's the amusing part - there *is* a chart in the document! It just
>> doesn't make any *sense*. :-/
>
> Well, ask them to express the chart as a calendar, since you don't
> understand what it means. Or otherwise ask them what you're confused
> about. If there's contradictory information in the chart, come up with
> an example that matches both contradictory elements and ask what the
> answer is, after pointing out that one element in the chart says yes and
> the other says no.

The chart *is* a calendar - but it shows only 1 son tape, 1 father tape,
and 1 grandfather tape, which makes no sense at all. But then, none of
the parts are labelled, so you have to take guesses at what it's saying...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/