POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caller ID spoofing? : Re: Caller ID spoofing? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caller ID spoofing?
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jul 2008 12:45:40
Message: <4891ec34$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I'm not necessarily talking legally, I'm just talking about how most
> people seem to behave - that they couldn't have made a mistake, it has to
> be someone else's responsibility.

I think one is the result of the other, tho. I don't think people
thought this way 100 years ago.

> Another example: My son's girlfriend was in a car accident about 8 months

I read where someone stole a car, ran from the police in it, caused
damage to the police cars chasing, and the police sued the owner of the
car for the damage. Weird.

> Yep, what you've written here is a good explanation of how things work
> and how the costs are factored into the cost of goods.

Except that it's self-reinforcing. People win giant lawsuits *because*
of the liability laws. People wouldn't sue if they could only get
recompense for the actual damage done, and I expect most wouldn't sue if
they'd done something stupid if they would lose because they did
something stupid. But because the laws are there, companies buy
insurance and bump their prices, and because of this people *do* sue.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)