POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very interesting... : Re: Very interesting... Server Time
16 May 2024 15:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very interesting...
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Jul 2008 12:12:41
Message: <4891e479$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Hell yeah. Usually I write a program, eventually get it to almost-work,
> and then realise that the way I structured it was totally stupid and
> there's actually a far better way to do the job. Delete, start again.
> Depending on program complexity, it can take a few iterations to get
> this right.

Exactly. I think I did this about 5 times with LOME before I settled on
how to implement that. (Including trying it in 3 different languages
before I realized one with OO and some sort of automated memory
management would be best.)

> It seems to be that, regardless of which programming language you use,
> figuring out the best way to divide the problem into abstractions is
> absolutely *critical* to writing clean, efficient, maintainable code.
> And it's often not very obvious which way *is* the best until you try to
> actually "do it".

Yep. That's where the experience comes in. And the natural ability to
recognise the abstractions in things.

>> Indeed. Generally, I wind up fixing ugly when it gets to be more
>> effort to work around the ugly than it does to fix the ugly.
>
> This seems like it's only common sense.

You would be surprised. I've had people do things like pass the number
of columns wide that the printer report should be in index zero of a
floating point array indexed by customer age, just so they wouldn't have
to spend 20 minutes to recompile other parts of the program when they
changed what variables are shared between programs.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)