POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very interesting... : Re: Very interesting... Server Time
16 May 2024 03:33:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very interesting...
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Jul 2008 11:46:40
Message: <4891de60@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> The two problems are these:
>
> (1) You don't always know it's ugly when you write it.

Hell yeah. Usually I write a program, eventually get it to almost-work,
and then realise that the way I structured it was totally stupid and
there's actually a far better way to do the job. Delete, start again.
Depending on program complexity, it can take a few iterations to get
this right.

It seems to be that, regardless of which programming language you use,
figuring out the best way to divide the problem into abstractions is
absolutely *critical* to writing clean, efficient, maintainable code.
And it's often not very obvious which way *is* the best until you try to
actually "do it".

> (2) Ugliness depends on both program size and complexity and the number
> of people working on the code.

I have no experience of working with other programmers. The only group
programming project I've ever been involved with was at uni - and I was
the only person in the group who knew how to program.

Program complexity I can agree with... ;-)

> Indeed. Generally, I wind up fixing ugly when it gets to be more effort
> to work around the ugly than it does to fix the ugly.

This seems like it's only common sense.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/