POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Aren't complexity classes fun? : Re: Aren't complexity classes fun? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aren't complexity classes fun?
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 31 Jul 2008 07:50:39
Message: <4891a70f@news.povray.org>
news:4891a551$1@news.povray.org...

> I hadn't considered the possibility of the entire table data being in
> the index itself. That would move the tipping point somewhat...

Not the entire table, just the columns required by the query in question.
Say the index table has 15 columns and the query that is looking for all
invoice numbers <  999,999,999 needs to return the date, the address and the
customer name, then an index on InvoiceNumber, Date, Address, CustName is
called a covering index, as it covers this particular query.

If an index is not covering, then, as I mentioned before, the tipping point
isn't most of the table (at least for SQL Server), it's somewhere around 1%