POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Being tactful : Re: Being tactful Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Being tactful
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jul 2008 13:37:32
Message: <4890a6dc$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:
> Tom Galvin wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>> Just how *do* you tell somebody that there ideas are completely
>>> stupid in a tactful way?
>>>

>> Try to understand where they are coming from.  Empathy is underrated.
>

> Yeah, what he said.

Exactly.

Think of it in terms of "how would I teach/explain a complicated thing
to a naive user, or a child" kind of thing. Try to figure out why they
think it'll do what they want, then find the flaws in it. In other
words, try to work backwards from what they wrote to what they expect it
to accomplish, then explain the ways in which it could fail.

Doing this can be extremely difficult if you're very well versed in the
field.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)