POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Problem with animations : Re: Problem with animations Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:53:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with animations
From: Alain
Date: 29 Jul 2008 16:53:13
Message: <488f8339$1@news.povray.org>
tticknor nous illumina en ce 2008-07-27 15:47 -->
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>> Whenever I try to start any animation, POV-Ray freeze.
>> Both using command-line (+kffxxx) or using an *.ini file.
>>
>> Does anybody have a similar problem? Did you resolved it? How?
>> Does anybody have any hint about what setting or file can cause that?
>>
>> Running on Windows 2000 sp4.
>> CPU: AMD thunderbird 1400 MHz
>> RAM: 512 Mb
>>
>> Note: I can run animation if I use beta 3.7.xx but I can't do animation using file
I/O to pass
>> information from one frame to the next.
>> --
>> Alain
>> A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
>
> I have this problem also with 3.6.1c on a Dell C2D notebook running Vista. It
> seems to be a problem at the message window. If I clear the message window and
> turn off console messages with -GA I can get through a dozen or so frames
> before the msg window fills up with 'rendering frame n of m' and the sequence
> freezes. I haven't tried to solve it any further yet. No problem when I do
> multiple files without animation (i.e. manually) that overfill the msg window.

That post is about 2 years old! For me, the problem cleared itself away.
At the time, my problem was totaly different than your's: I got the freezes
immediately whenever I started any animation, before the parsing even started.
The xx in beta 3.7.xx was around 07 to 12 at the time.
A typican scenario was, at the time:
Launch POV-Ray.
Load the scene file.
Start the animation. Instant FREEZE!

In your case, try reinstalling POV-Ray into a custom folder instead of somewhere
inside program files. Vista don't let a programm alter it's own ini files.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when your source files are starting to