POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : BUG: +O- pipe progressive output lost in 3.7beta25b ... Any workaround? : Re: BUG: +O- pipe progressive output lost in 3.7beta25b ... Any workaround? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BUG: +O- pipe progressive output lost in 3.7beta25b ... Any workaround?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 Jul 2008 14:40:45
Message: <488f642d$1@news.povray.org>
Marvin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In previous version, 3.6, I have been using something like:
>
> % povray +W640 +H480 +A0.3 -J0.0 +FN +O- source.pov
>
> This was called from a CGI script, and the progressive PNG output went directly
> to the client browser.
>
> However, in no way can I trick POVRAY 3.7beta25b to do this. It simply creates
> file "-.png", and even this file isn't populated progressively, but on the end
> of the rendering from the file -.pov-state.

There never was a guarantee that output would be progressive if you output a
image to a piped file. What you do is actually not even supposed to work in
3.6, and in reality it does not work right even in 3.6 as you are not
receiving a valid PNG image if you display it intermittently. Due to the way
SMP rendering works with blocks, the only way to output images is at the end.

However, I can indeed see that what you would like to do is very useful! So
turning your report into a feature suggestion, I would say enabling a kind
of raw output is what you could most easily use. Given you can set block
size, your script would know it, you could then use that format of the
preview blocks within your CGI script for processing and send them wherever
you want. Of course, you end up with something more like a "web 2.0"
application that way.

Actually implementation of the output would be relatively simple on the
POV-Ray side, but I guess this feature will get low priority as long as
there are major bugs to fix...

	Thorsten, POV-Team