POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 29 Jul 2008 10:08:12
Message: <488f244c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Yeah, but only with human intervention. You don't just press a button
>>> and out pops an image with colours that correctly match the original.
>>
>> As the original is B&W, that doesn't make sense...
>
> I meant you can't just give a machine a BW picture of a tree and have it
> automatically know to turn it green. That's impossible. You must have a
> human there, and they must know what the hell the colours are supposed
> to be.

Right. The restorations shown in the posts above did require some human
intervention. The one of the baby (me) in the gold chair gave some weird
blotchiness in the gold color, so that had to be cleaned up, basically
using a colorization technique.

But, generally human intervention is required to do the best at
correction and restoration. I can't just push a button that says "Fix
cracks", I have to at the very minimum tell it where those cracks are
that I want fixed.

You have PS elements, right? Find a picture that's scratched and use the
healing (or spot healing) brush on the scratches. The brush looks like a
bandage. I know the tool exists in Elements. I use a lot of Clone and
Heal, often both to get the results. I should upload a copy of the
layers palette of the images to give you an idea as to how much is
really involved.