POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! : Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 28 Jul 2008 15:18:52
Message: <488e1b9c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   At least here in some of the biggest cities there are lanes on the biggest
> roads which are reserved exclusively for the use of buses, taxis and
> emergency vehicles. Other people are prohibited from using that lane by
> law. If they use the lane, they get fined.

There are signs on those lanes sayin "BUS" or "BUS/TAXI" oslt defining
who can drive on it (taxis aren't actually allowed to drive on bus-only
-lane, but they do - and don't get fined).

There are also signs saying "Parking prohibited except for police cars".
What I understood there was no such sign where the officet got the fine.

>   Is this exemption unfair and a slippery slope? Is it unfair that *some*
> people (such as bus drivers and the police) can use the special lane but
> not others?

No, it's strictly specified. What's unfair and a slippery slope is those
taxi drivers that don't get fined by driving on a bus-only -lane and
polices driving on a walk-only -road while patrolling (which happens *a

>   Or is this exemption there in order to make traffic more fluent and
> less troublesome?

Yes.

>   Why couldn't the police be exempted from parking prohibitions, as long
> as they do it in a manner that doesn't cause problems to anyone? I just
> can't see any rational reason.

They could, but they aren't.

OTOH, why couldn't anyone else be exempted from parking prohibitions, if
they manage to do it in a manner that doesn't cause problems to anyone?

(Yes, I did cut away number of reasons to allow this for police forces -
it doesn't affect on reasons for denying it for other people).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net