POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big numbers : Re: Really big numbers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really big numbers
From: Warp
Date: 28 Jul 2008 14:11:22
Message: <488e0bc9@news.povray.org>
> Weirdly, you can only fold a piece of paper about 7 times.

  It's just a myth.

  You can fold a regular-sized paper, and even a very big paper (A0 or
even larger) 7 or perhaps 8 times, yes, but if you take really, really
huge sheet of paper, you can fold it more. In Mythbusters they took
a really enormous sheet of paper and, iirc, folded it 11 times.

  It's just a question of the size and thickness of the paper. There's
no magical physical limit of 7 folds.

> Still, take heart. The busy beaver function grows so fast it's not even
> a computable function... (!!)

  I like the n(!^n) more because it's much easier to explain and understand,
even though it doesn't grow as fast.

--
                                                          - Warp