POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big numbers : Re: Really big numbers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really big numbers
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Jul 2008 13:39:58
Message: <488e046e$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:

> Do you really find it easy to visualize the number of subatomic particles in
> the visible universe? I don't see why thinking about that would be more
> informative than, say, 1E80.

Well, the number of grains of sand on the entire English coastline is
"obviously" a pretty damned big number. And the number of subatomic
particles in the universe is equally obviously *very* much larger.

Call it a failure of the simplistic human mind, but seeing a handful of
symbols on a page isn't very impressive. Likening it to something that
at least "feels real" makes it slightly easier to grasp.

For example, off the top of your head, how long is "10^14 seconds"? I
mean, is that like, months? Millenia? What?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/