POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big numbers : Re: Really big numbers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 04:42:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really big numbers
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 28 Jul 2008 12:01:32
Message: <488ded5c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Of course, 10^80 and 10^90 don't *sound* all that much different. They
> *are* in fact extremely different (specifically, one is a thousand times
> bigger!), but they don't look all that different. Something like 10^496

	Oh dear, no. One is 10 billion times bigger than the other.

> Does anybody know of a list anywhere that gives examples of really large
> numbers? I'm thinking of things like the number of grains of sand in a
> cubic meter, the brain cells in a human brain, or the number of
> subatomic particles in the visible universe. I for one have no idea even
> approximately "how big" these numbers are.

	Didn't look that up, but the first Skewes number was once believed to
be the largest number ever used in a proof (or for anywhere useful?):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skewes_number

--
Fax me no questions, I'll Fax you no lies!

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl