POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! : Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
From: Warp
Date: 27 Jul 2008 15:54:57
Message: <488cd291@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> On 27-Jul-08 19:27, Warp wrote:
> > andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >> If the policeman can park there without obstructing, anyone can.
> >
> >   You clearly didn't really understand what I wanted to say.
> >
> >   Just because a police car parks somewhere for 10 minutes once a day
> > doesn't mean that 5 cars parking there 24/7 don't obstruct anyone any
> > worse.
> >
> >   I see absolutely no problem in such exemption.

> I did understand what you were saying but I simply disagree and yes, I
> do see the problem. It is the problem of the slippery slope. (yes, I did
> consult wikipedia)

  At least here in some of the biggest cities there are lanes on the biggest
roads which are reserved exclusively for the use of buses, taxis and
emergency vehicles. Other people are prohibited from using that lane by
law. If they use the lane, they get fined.

  Is this exemption unfair and a slippery slope? Is it unfair that *some*
people (such as bus drivers and the police) can use the special lane but
not others?

  Or is this exemption there in order to make traffic more fluent and
less troublesome?

  Why couldn't the police be exempted from parking prohibitions, as long
as they do it in a manner that doesn't cause problems to anyone? I just
can't see any rational reason.

  In fact, I can see rational reasons to *allow* police cars on duty to
park in places where other cars normally can't, as already mentioned in
this thread: If the police suddenly gets an emergency call, he must be
able to access his car fast. Thus it may be imperative that his car is
in a place which is as easy to access as possible. If all the regular
parking slots nearby are in use, and he would have to park very far away
to obey the law, that could be critical in a case of emergency.

> It's their job to enforce the law for everybody. No exceptions for
> policeman, lawyers, judges, politicians or the mayor's wife or friends.
> Law is law and it applies to everybody.

  The law can (and perhaps should) be changed to allow police officers on
duty to park in places which are most convenient.

--
                                                          - Warp