POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : blue's code : Re: blue's code Server Time
19 May 2024 05:46:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blue's code
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 27 Jul 2008 13:31:30
Message: <488cb0f2@news.povray.org>
I can see that you've been very busy there aQ. It seems that the zip file i
downloaded to work on is out of date with the images you've posted. Perhaps
a day late and a dollar short, anyway here's what I've done.

I've cleaned up the source, added four quality levels (debug -> best). This
image was run a Quality=2 it took about 26 minutes. I didn't have much luck
with the curved reflectors (convex/concave) so in this setup they are flat.
They also have a front and back, it didn't seem to make sense to have the
entire object reflective. It just adds to render time. I would also reverse
the order of the lenses. It seems to make better sense to make the beam
bigger with the convex lens then back to original size with the concave
lens. The other way around and I think photon spacing in the global block
would have to be even smaller. I'm wondering if curved surfaces might be
better as iso_surfaces, and with the correct formula made to be a true
parabolic surface rather than the hit or miss approach with differencing and
uneven scaling spheres. An improvement more along esthetic lines would to
frame and make stands for the reflectors and lenses rather than have them
just basically floating in space.  Lastly I opted for a single light source
(the laser). Both the light and scattering media in the container are white.
I used absorption media to turn the beam green. I'll post the source over in
scene-files.

Cheers Jim

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: