POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! : A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 04:38:17 EDT (-0400)
  A Policeman got a parking ticket and complained about it!
From: Chambers
Date: 26 Jul 2008 23:11:32
Message: <488be764@news.povray.org>
Here's a story in today's Oregonian about a policeman who got a traffic
fine for illegal parking:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/121687171035380.xml&coll=7

Here are some relevant quotes from the article:

   "Oregonians believe police don't get to ignore the law."

This is exactly how I feel, and I fully support the idea that those who
represent Law and Order should be bound by it as fully as any other citizen.

   "Portland police, however, vowed to push to allow officers to park in
no-parking zones to order food"

Seriously?  They're fed up that they have to park in the same spaces
that we have to?

OK, I understand that policemen need to stay within a certain distance
of their vehicles (both to respond more quickly to calls, and in case
someone tries to vandalize their vehicle {the article states that this
is a real concern for them}).  However, if they aren't able to get the
food they want because of this, then how about calling ahead and having
your order brought out to you?  I've seen countless officers pull up to
restaurants (ok, donut shops - and I'm not even making that up!) and an
employee carried their order out to them.

Even failing that, then let them quit whining and deal with it.  If I
don't have time to go to the restaurant I want on my lunch break, I
don't go to that restaurant.  And if I refuse to go to any nearby
fast-food restaurants, then I bring my own lunch.

   "Traffic Court Judge Terry Hannon said he didn't think the officer
did anything wrong but he had to find Stensgaard guilty because he
violated the letter of the law."

So we've got a judge who admits that the officer broke the law, but he
"didn't think the officer did anything wrong."

Since when has it not been wrong to break the law?

I'd like to know why this man is a judge, and why we trust him to decide
questions about guilt and innocence when he cannot understand that
breaking they law is the definition of wrong.

   "It's almost incomprehensible . . . that those public servants need
to drive around at public expense burning gas to find a spot to get the
food that they enjoy"

You know what's incomprehensible?  That I need to drive around at my
expense burning gas to find a spot to get the food that I enjoy.  But no
judge would ever waive my parking ticket.