POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rounded prism? : Re: Rounded prism? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rounded prism?
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 28 Jul 2008 23:38:53
Message: <488EAD9B.1040608@joplin.com>
Rune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have forgotten - is there ever anyone who have made a macro for creating
> rounded prisms? I currently need a macro to create rounded prisms, where the
> rounded prism will fit inside a normal prism with the same points. In other
> words, the rounding thickness should not be added to the prism, but rather
> some volume should be taken away at the edges to get the rounding.

I am like you. I forget too!
There was a discussion a while back about rounded prisms. But I don't
remember if anything came of it. I do know that I have 6 version of
'rounded prisms' all of which I'm not proud of.

> I tried to do the math myself, but it turned out to be a bit tricky for me.

The math is tricky! Especially if you try and match a prism object.
And I'm always geting flat spots on all but the simplest prisms.
It might be best if we made a mesh shape object out of the prism data.
I might give it a go...

> I have searched on google for both rounded and smooth prism, but with no
> good results as far as I can see. I just seem to remember that such a macro
> existed, but I may be mixing up things...?

If you find a good one LET US KNOW please.