POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : secure way to transfer money? : Re: secure way to transfer money? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: secure way to transfer money?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 25 Jul 2008 06:29:41
Message: <4889ab15$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Swipe cards on fake reader, and store data on computer. Tell customer
>> that the machine is having problems, ask for cash instead. As each card
>> approaches it's exp date over the next year, use it for single large
>> purchase.
>>
>> The store wouldn't have to be complicit, the clerk would just have to be
>> organized.
>
> I don't know, if a customer didn't have cash with them, they'd not buy
> the product, maybe come back later and complain to staff about the
> earlier problem.  That'd raise flags (once upon a time, I worked retail -
> customers complain about the damnedest things).
>
> Jim

Do it to the first customer every morning when you work at aisle X.
Check that the machine is always the same, switch routines when the boss
changes the machine. If all the clerks are in on it, have them do the
same. Make it a technical problem, not a human problem. By the time the
machines are replaced, you have the data and move on.

The other choice is one card, completely at random, and never copying
another again. Wait 6 months to a year (or more) to actually use it.

Sure, the customer gets a little annoyed and maybe watches their
statements for the next month or two. In a year, they will be watching
something else that annoyed them if they are that type. But, the price
is that any detailed analysis would show that all the victims had made a
purchase at 'S MART' in the last how ever many months.