POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Duh, what's a man to do...? : Duh, what's a man to do...? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Duh, what's a man to do...?
From: St
Date: 25 Jul 2008 06:14:39
Message: <4889a78f$1@news.povray.org>
Ok, so my boss sends me 350 MB's of PDF files. There's 72 files, half of
which are "web resolution at 72dpi" and the other half are "full printing
resolution at 300 dpi".

  The files are images of our catalogue, and of course they are all seperate
pages. They want me to put something together to show it as a catalogue for
our customers on our website, I.E., they download it).

   Bearing in mind that the low-res files are around 1 to 2 MB's, that would
certainly be over 36MB's to download, and I don't think customers would want
to do that whether they have broadband or not. Our competitors are doing the
same thing, but their complete 'hi-res' catalogue is no more than 10 MB's,
and their 'low res' catalogue is around 4 MB's.

   So what do I do? Is there a program that will compress PDF files without
taking too much quality away?

    I've never played with PDF files before, so I'm at a complete loss as to
what to do. Any ideas?

      ~Steve~