POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jul 2008 14:41:22
Message: <4888ccd2@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:00:48 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Yeah, but only with human intervention. You don't just press a button
>>> and out pops an image with colours that correctly match the original.
>>
>> As the original is B&W, that doesn't make sense...
>
> I meant you can't just give a machine a BW picture of a tree and have it
> automatically know to turn it green. That's impossible.

I don't know that to be the case.  Again, a case of one's ability to
fathom how something like that is done doesn't translate to "there's no
way it could possibly be done".

> You must have a
> human there, and they must know what the hell the colours are supposed
> to be.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Depends on how advanced the technology is.  It
certainly isn't an *easy* problem to solve, I'll grant that.
Impossible?  Smarter people than me have figured out how to do things I
thought weren't possible.

Jim