POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ohgodohgodohgod : Re: Ohgodohgodohgod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ohgodohgodohgod
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jul 2008 11:43:26
Message: <4888a31d@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> I meant the CPU being at 100% during the program loading, not that
> particular program using 100% all for itself.  Of course I assume the OS can
> do important things, but still the CPU should not be below 100% while I am
> waiting for a program to load (assuming it's CPU bound).  That would be just
> wasted time.

  Often when a program loads, it reads a lot of data from the disk. This
means that most programs are I/O-intensive during loading, not CPU-intensive.
(Basically the CPU has to constantly wait for the superslow hard disk to do
its job.)

  Some programs might perform some other forms of I/O during loading,
which may also cause the CPU to have to wait mostly idle. For example
a game could be loading tons of textures to the GPU memory, which takes
its time.

--
                                                          - Warp