POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data destruction : Re: Data destruction Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data destruction
From: John VanSickle
Date: 24 Jul 2008 07:26:22
Message: <488866de@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Weeee... and *this* is why I'm not sure I want to work on military
> crypto devices. :-}

About a decade later, the military developed a solid-state (discrete
transistors packaged into modules) piece of equipment which occupied
only half on an equipment rack, and it ran in the kilohertz range.
Later, stuff that runs at T-1 speeds, and occupies one-tenth of the
rack, came into service (and remains in service).

The half-rack systems were finally dismantled in the early nineties,
after seeing nearly three decades of service, but the remaining stuff,
when it is adequate to the requirements at hand, is still in use (and,
BTW, is very reliable).

Regards,
John