POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jul 2008 05:00:22
Message: <488844a6$1@news.povray.org>
>> All I know is that when I take a dark image and try to make it
>> brighter, it comes out hopelessly noisy.
>
> That is probably because you took it with a camera that is already
> hopelessly noisy, of course brightening it digitally is just going to
> amplify the noise too.

Well, my camera *is* quite noisy. (More precisely: my camera takes very
dark pictures unless used in insanely bright lighting conditions, or on
a very long exposure.) I quickly learned that there is really no point
attempting to take the beer-like shots it takes and make then viewable.
All you get is signal noise.

But then, isn't film inherantly noisy too? And especially a scanned
image, complete with dust and a rough surface...

> Try playing about with a better photo, (googling "photo" is a start!),
> darken it by a factor of 4, then lighten it back to its original.
> Hardly any noise visible.

Heh, not even DCT artifacts? :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/