POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : TrainFaces 1.0.0 : Re: TrainFaces 1.0.0 Server Time
5 May 2024 18:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TrainFaces 1.0.0
From: Blue Herring
Date: 23 Jul 2008 15:55:17
Message: <48878ca5$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> I usually do it by hand too but I tend to end up with fairly bland
> looking results. I've tried Microsoft Office in the past and really
> didn't like the generated html. I recently loaded a copy of OpenOffice
> and I was planning to play around to see how that does at generating
> html with sophisticated layout.

It does quite well, though there's always the arm-wrestling that goes
on.  I would recommend the XHTML export rather than saving as the
HTML/text format, it does a much better job of preserving the
formatting.  Just don't expect it to respect all the settings that would
apply to the HTML/text format.  A few other things I learned, fields
generally don't export, if you add images make sure they are linked,
hidden text fields turn into comments (but not hidden paragraphs.)

> When setting up the site we were asked to check that text format files
> only contained ASCII characters. I don't recall any real discussion over
> it at the time. I think there is some sense to it being ASCII though as
> UTF8 might imply that using extended character sets is encouraged.

Well, an explosion of different character sets wouldn't be great, so I
guess that keeps everything compatible.

> ps. I'm not convinced that very many people monitor this newsgroup
> regularly, so you might want to add a little response to the existing
> thread in povray.binaries.images.

OK, I'll do that, thanks for the tip.

--
-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring