POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: More futures Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More futures
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Jul 2008 15:38:14
Message: <488788a6$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> And then there was AMOS (AMiga OS). I forget how many different editions
> were produced - AMOS, Easy AMOS, AMOS Professional, etc. In spite of the
> name, it wasn't actually an OS at all. It was a a programming language.
>
> When you buy AMOS Professional, what you get is
>
> - An interpretter for the AMOS language.
> - An extensive IDE.
> - A set of multimedia tools inclusing almost everything but the kitchen
> sink, *all* written in AMOS itself.
> - No less than *seven disks* stacked full of multimedia files and demo
> programs.
>
> Technically, AMOS is just another dialect of BASIC. It doesn't have line
> numbers, does have GOTO and GOSUB, and has procedures and functions,
> uses "$" and "#" to distinguish variable datatypes, and IIRC has local
> variables if you want them. The core language is no more powerful than
> that.
>
> However, it has VERY strong multimedia capabilities. If you imagine the
> most feature-encrusted lump of software possible, AMOS was like that,
> but with bells on.

...so basically, AMOS was a programming language that utterly *sucked*,
together with an absolutely kick-arse set of multimedia tools and with
killer easy of use. Kind of like VB I guess...

At the time, BASIC was the most powerful programming language I knew.
And boy did I love AMOS! Never got a huge amount *done* with it, but I
spent countless hours tinkering. Looking back on it, it truly was the
most feature-encrusted lump of lead imaginable! Occasionally it would
even malfunction slightly - nearly unheard of for commercial software.
(In fairness, it worked better once I got a harddrive.)

I do still sometimes miss the flexibility of just being able to say
"PLOT 7, 3, 11" and write a pixel to the screen. It's *way* more
complicated than that these days. Kinda puts you off writing anything
graphical...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/