POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : TrainFaces 1.0.0 : Re: TrainFaces 1.0.0 Server Time
5 May 2024 17:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TrainFaces 1.0.0
From: Chris B
Date: 23 Jul 2008 13:24:44
Message: <4887695c$1@news.povray.org>
"Blue Herring" <pov### [at] bherringcotsenet> wrote in message

> I really appreciate you making those corrections.  As a rule I always do
> my HTML by hand, but this time I thought I'd try OpenOffice with the XHTML
> export.  I really like OpenOffice, and the XHTML export does work quite
> well.  However, there are some small but crucial details that can't be
> controlled from within the application.

I usually do it by hand too but I tend to end up with fairly bland looking
results. I've tried Microsoft Office in the past and really didn't like the
generated html. I recently loaded a copy of OpenOffice and I was planning to
play around to see how that does at generating html with sophisticated
layout.

> Just curious, is there a specific reason why HTML needs to be ASCII
> instead of utf8 for the collection?

When setting up the site we were asked to check that text format files only
contained ASCII characters. I don't recall any real discussion over it at
the time. I think there is some sense to it being ASCII though as UTF8 might
imply that using extended character sets is encouraged.

ps. I'm not convinced that very many people monitor this newsgroup
regularly, so you might want to add a little response to the existing thread
in povray.binaries.images.

Regards,
Chris B.