POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : povray.ini : Re: povray.ini Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.ini
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 23 Jul 2008 09:17:23
Message: <48872f63@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:48871fac$1@news.povray.org...
> Thanks folks ... so far we have Stephen, Jim and Sabrina.
>
> I'd like to suggest you co-ordinate the job amongst yourselves via this
> group or otherwise as it suits you (though I suggest here) ...

this group sounds good to me ..... that way everyone else can add their 0.02
as well

> what we need is that all the scenes (as supplied in the latest beta) to be
> updated for 3.7. this involves at the minimum updating the header of the
> file etc. #version should only be used where needed; i.e. if #version 3.5
> is there, and it renders OK like that, then leave it at 3.5. if it renders
> OK without #version at all, then it can be taken out. as a rule we'd only
> like to see #version 3.7 in the scene if it's needed for compatibility.

there probably aren't any examples scenes that incorporate new features are
there?

> one significant issue we're going to come across is scenes that were
> designed with assumed_gamma at some non-standard value: please see the
> release notes for more details on this if you're not already familiar with
> the problem and the solutions. worst case the scene might need to be
> modified (in terms of the lighting or textures) or in extreme cases
> removed
> entirely.

i'm a bit foggy on this .... i have lcd display and nvidia graphics card. it
has a applet that allows gamma correction and loading of my lcd display
color profile. what has appeared to work best for me is to add
Display_Gamma=1.0 to resolution.ini and assumed_gamma 1 to gloabal_setting
in the scene file. if that's not correct i should nail this down before
continuing.

> finally, some of the scenes (and I think even includes) generate warnings:
> apart from cases where these are unavoidable it would be nice to stop
> those
> from happening.

the I_Glass warning for one ..... right?

> oh, and feel free to suggest other improvements, alterations, additions,
> or
> replacements if you wish:)

Stephen/Sabrina: give me some time to get 3.7 downloaded and a work
environment set up and then we can figure out how to proceed. Divide and
conquer? What do you think?

Jim