POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: More futures Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More futures
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jul 2008 06:19:57
Message: <488705cd$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Also ditto here, I had just got one of the new Acorns where they bumped
> up the clock to 12 MHz from 8 MHz, but everything else was the same.  I
> wonder why timing was so hard back then - I mean surely they could have
> had something a little more sophisticated to make sure that things
> remained synced.

Sloppy programming.

The music stays synchronised because it uses one of the hardware timers.
The graphcs don't because it relies on the CPU drawing them at a
specific speed.

Flashback also made the disk drive spin continuously to detect when a
disk was inserted - completely unecessary and probably deterimental to
the drive mechanisms.

> On the last level, I don't remember how far I got through it, but I
> vaguely remember several doors that were blocking my progress and I just
> couldn't find anything to give me any clues what to do next.  I spent
> *days* going back to it and literally covering every part of the walls
> and floors I had access to, still nothing so I gave up.  IIRC somebody
> here (maybe you) told me what I was missing a while back...

Heh. I wonder if I could get an emulator working and play Flashback? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/