POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: scott
Date: 23 Jul 2008 04:53:21
Message: <4886f181@news.povray.org>
> I find that a little surprising - AFAIK, Vista uses a radically different
> internal graphics pipeline, so you'd think it wouldn't be possible to make
> it work on XP at all.

I imagine they've hacked the DX9 drivers to use some of the hardware
functionality that is only exposed under DX10 (and thus only in Vista).  I
would highly doubt that they have managed to replicate the Vista graphics
system on XP, so there is no way all applications designed for DX10 are
going to work.  To do that they would have had to pretty much rewrite the
whole Vista graphics system and parts of the OS GUI to run on XP, which
seems a bit unlikely.