POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: scott
Date: 23 Jul 2008 04:32:16
Message: <4886ec90$1@news.povray.org>
> (BTW... Do you know of any real modellers that do? I realise theoretically
> somebody could make such a thing, but do you know of any real programs
> that do this?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_feature_based_modeler

The property you're after is "paremetric modelling", where instead of only
being able to assign numerical dimensions, you can apply rules and formulae
based on any other dimensions.  Commonly you can do things like "make sure
this face remains parallel to this one", or "make this radius half of this
dimension" etc.  Then of course when you change one thing, everything else
updates.