POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jul 2008 04:22:48
Message: <4886ea58@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> You need Vista to run DirectX 10.
>
> You can still access all the functionality of the card through OpenGL,
> though, on XP, Linux, and MacOS.

Oh right. I'll have to check to see whether CUDA works. >:-D

Basically there's a couple of graphics demos I've seen out there that
require a GeForce 8 or higher. How much do you want to bet that's really
because they want DirectX 10?

> In fact, I saw a demo that tricked XP into installing DX10, so you could
> still run almost everything that claimed it required Vista.

I find that a little surprising - AFAIK, Vista uses a radically
different internal graphics pipeline, so you'd think it wouldn't be
possible to make it work on XP at all.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/