POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: scott
Date: 23 Jul 2008 03:50:08
Message: <4886e2b0$1@news.povray.org>
> The real point is more that on a PC, just switching from one window to
> another always seemed to take forever, whereas on an Amiga it was
> instantaneous unless the machine was under heavy load.

Yeh, I remember my friend had a 33 MHz PC, and just closing a window it took
several seconds for his desktop wallpaper to repaint itself, slowly scanning
down the screen line-by-line.  I think the difference was, that Windows was
always designed to use the hard disc as additional RAM, whereas the Acorn
was specifically designed not to do this.  Of course it meant you sometimes
had to quit applications if you ran out of RAM, but it also meant that you
never got slowed down by the OS thrashing the hard disc.  In fact, if you
didn't want anything extra loaded at startup, the hard disc wouldn't be
accessed at all.

They also ported some really cool vector art package that was originally
written for the Acorn (I think it was called Artworks on the Acorn and Xara
on the PC).  At some computer show I went to they had both packages running
on a latest Acorn and PC at the time, and of course the Acorn was something
like 8x faster at drawing complex shapes with lots of graduated fills and
transparency.  It had fininshed drawing the entire picture, while the PC was
still drawing the background fills.