POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [100K] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [100K]
From: scott
Date: 23 Jul 2008 03:17:22
Message: <4886db02$1@news.povray.org>
> Well... it looks fine to me, that's all I'm saying. ;-)

But "fine" is nowhere near what you see in real life.  While there is still
an obvious gap between real life and what you can reproduce, there will no
doubt be improvements in the future.

> OK, well that's pretty weird. I wonder why they suddenly changed it to 48
> kHz then...?

Well don't forget, that there was nothing widespread before DVD that
recorded films in a digital format.  For some reason 48 kHz was pretty
standard in the music recording industry, even after CD came along with it's
lower sampler rate.  I guess in the film industry they stuck with 48 kHz (as
films were obviously never put onto CDs), but then when DVD came along it
made sense to have a 48 kHz soundtrack if everything was recorded at 48 kHz
anyway.