POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : secure way to transfer money? : Re: secure way to transfer money? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:08:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: secure way to transfer money?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jul 2008 17:48:33
Message: <488655b1$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:09:22 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 22-Jul-08 22:37, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>>> A previous time I set up a html file with part of the info on my own
>>> server. After I saw that it was accessed I removed it. Still not
>>> totally safe and I shut down my server here in the attic.
>>
>> Yeah, I don't know that I'd do that either - if someone happens to find
>> the URL and reads it who isn't who you intended, the info is then out
>> in the wild.
>
> I know it was accessed only once. And it contained half the info. The
> only way to sniff it would be to sniff both the e-mail and the html
> transfer. Still doable if you really want to, but I though it was safe
> enough. But only just.

In a way, it's kinda funny; many people (myself included) are much more
paranoid about disclosing this info online than in a shop, yet
(particularly if the shop has an old-style credit-card imprint machine)
the cashier in the shop is usually high-school or college age, often has
access to the records after hours, and all the information is on the
slip.  The advent of CCV2 numbers on cards (at least here in the US)
would be a deterrent, but it's not inconceivable that they could get the
info off the card fairly easily - just takes a pad of paper and
reasonable short-term memory (to wait for the customer to leave the
store).

Jim