POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Jul 2008 17:08:55
Message: <48864c67$1@news.povray.org>
>> Any idea what specifically "sucks" about Ogg?
>
> No idea. The one who told me was a ffmpeg developer so it's probably
> technicalities that I'd understand only if I had experience with media
> container file formats :)

Ah, OK.

I did read the spec for Ogg once. I don't remember it now, but it seems
a simple enough format without much overhead.

In particular, you're supposed to be able to take any valid Ogg file,
slice it in half at some arbitrary point, and the two halves are ment to
still be playable by any compliant player, even though you just sliced
right through the middle of some data structure.

While we're on the subject, Vorbis is ment to support "bit peeling",
where you can take a Vorbis stream and "easily" strip off parts of it to
yield a valid lower-bitrate version without having to actually transcode
anything. Sort of like progressive JPEG - the data is arranged in such a
way that it's easy to quickly discard low priority data to lower the
bitrate.

How well any of this works in practice? I have no idea! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/