POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: stbenge
Date: 22 Jul 2008 15:40:26
Message: <488637aa@news.povray.org>
That was a compelling monologue. You brought us from the pits of
computational hardship all the way to the clear mountaintops of current
home computing. Good job!

Invisible wrote:
> Then there were ground-breaking AF coverdisks like Imagine 2, Real3D,

Ugh, not Real3D! That was my *first* introduction to 3D graphics, and
let me tell you I was *not* impressed. Back in '97-'98 it had no
raytracing support, and the other features were all very disappointing.
'Refraction' was simply an environment map applied to the inside of an
object... no attempt was made to distort pre-rendered objects behind the
refractive one. And then there was the problem of surfaces shadowing
themselves. Strange, dark-gray lines running along a surface when you
want it to be smooth can really piss you off, especially when it takes
so long for the program to compute and render the image in the first place.

> - Sophisticated image processing software such as The GIMP can be
> obtained *for free*!
>
> - 3D graphics rendering requires nothing more than a copy of POV-Ray.

> - Complex sound editing software such as Audacity is *free*.

Thank goodness for the open-source movement!

> In fact, it seems that only high-end, professional audio and video tools
> actually cost money any more. (I'm thinking... Cubase, Cakewalk,
> Photoshop, Renderman, and so forth.)

Since you mention Cakewalk in your list of commercial apps, let me
mention JazzWare as a free alternative to it. ModPlugTracker is another
one, though it's quite different.

Sam