POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Jul 2008 08:41:31
Message: <4885d57b@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> I'll agree, Windows 3.x sucked. :)
>
> I was always astounded that "66 MHz" PCs would crawl along unbearably
> slowly while my little "14 MHz" Amiga 1200 ran rings around them. It
> wasn't until I started doing seriously compute-bounded work that I
> actually *believed* that the numbers weren't lying. The Amiga just
> seemed dramatically faster in every respect.
>
> (On the other hand... You know how Linux is supposed to be "fast"? I
> tried running Debian on my Amiga 1200. Waiting for Gnome to start up
> is... well let me put it this way. It makes a 486 SX look like greased
> lightning. From typing "startx" to having a usable desktop takes about
> 20 *minutes*!! Not kidding!!)
>
>>> (Bearing in mind, my first ray-traced scene - a mesh torus with a
>>> procedural wood texture and one light source - took well over 2
>>> *hours* to render at 320x200 pixels. What can I say? No FPU...)
>>
>> POV-Ray was why I sought to by a math-coprocessor. Remarkable speed up
>> of that app. ;)
>
> Oh hell yeah. I can remember adding a 20 MHz FPU to my Amiga and
> watching Fractuallity suddenly get an order of magnitude faster. ;-)
> "Wow, it's so fast!" I cried.
>
> Watching it yesterday, with FPU and all, there didn't seem to be much
> "fast" about it!
>
>>> In fact, it seems that only high-end, professional audio and video
>>> tools actually cost money any more. (I'm thinking... Cubase,
>>> Cakewalk, Photoshop, Renderman, and so forth.)
>>
>> If you've ever really used Photoshop, some things that are trivial to
>> do in that program all the sudden become very difficult in other
>> programs.
>
> I'm sure. (E.g., colour seperations...)
>
>> Remember that video you posted on the making of that webcomic. That
>> was PS.
>
> I own Photoshop Elements now. It's not very impressive.

PS Elememts is ... meh .. It lacks some key features, such as Masking.
Hell... lacking that alone is grounds for death IMO. You're better of
with GIMP. ;)

>> I've taken old faded pictures (some with missing pieces, where the
>> emulsion was scratched or torn away) and brought them back to their
>> original color, replaced the missing pieces, and got rid of the texture.
>
> I have no idea how that's even theoretically possible.

Depends. Small tears and missing chunks are really easy using clone and
heal tools. Larger tears and missing chunks require a more "creative"
approach. See the attached images.

>> There are advantages to the expensive packages ;)
>
> I won't deny that. ;-)
>
>>> Today, anybody with sufficient technical bent can easily sit down
>>> with a computer and cut CDs of their music, or burn DVDs of their
>>> graphics and animations. It's not even expensive any more.
>>
>> Heck. You can do this for free, too ;)
>
> Not really. You still have to buy the PC. :-P

Well, assuming you already have the PC... If you don't you can still
accomplish your goal for under $1000.

I've seen someone actually make a pretty impressive short film using
Windows Movie Maker and a $50 pocket camera.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '003banda.jpg' (144 KB) Download 'banda7.jpg' (145 KB)

Preview of image '003banda.jpg'
003banda.jpg

Preview of image 'banda7.jpg'
banda7.jpg