POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2008 08:24:55
Message: <4885d197$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> I'll agree, Windows 3.x sucked. :)

I was always astounded that "66 MHz" PCs would crawl along unbearably
slowly while my little "14 MHz" Amiga 1200 ran rings around them. It
wasn't until I started doing seriously compute-bounded work that I
actually *believed* that the numbers weren't lying. The Amiga just
seemed dramatically faster in every respect.

(On the other hand... You know how Linux is supposed to be "fast"? I
tried running Debian on my Amiga 1200. Waiting for Gnome to start up
is... well let me put it this way. It makes a 486 SX look like greased
lightning. From typing "startx" to having a usable desktop takes about
20 *minutes*!! Not kidding!!)

>> (Bearing in mind, my first ray-traced scene - a mesh torus with a
>> procedural wood texture and one light source - took well over 2
>> *hours* to render at 320x200 pixels. What can I say? No FPU...)
>
> POV-Ray was why I sought to by a math-coprocessor. Remarkable speed up
> of that app. ;)

Oh hell yeah. I can remember adding a 20 MHz FPU to my Amiga and
watching Fractuallity suddenly get an order of magnitude faster. ;-)
"Wow, it's so fast!" I cried.

Watching it yesterday, with FPU and all, there didn't seem to be much
"fast" about it!

>> In fact, it seems that only high-end, professional audio and video
>> tools actually cost money any more. (I'm thinking... Cubase, Cakewalk,
>> Photoshop, Renderman, and so forth.)
>
> If you've ever really used Photoshop, some things that are trivial to do
> in that program all the sudden become very difficult in other programs.

I'm sure. (E.g., colour seperations...)

> Remember that video you posted on the making of that webcomic. That was
> PS.

I own Photoshop Elements now. It's not very impressive.

> I've taken old faded pictures (some with missing pieces, where the
> emulsion was scratched or torn away) and brought them back to their
> original color, replaced the missing pieces, and got rid of the texture.

I have no idea how that's even theoretically possible.

> There are advantages to the expensive packages ;)

I won't deny that. ;-)

>> Today, anybody with sufficient technical bent can easily sit down with
>> a computer and cut CDs of their music, or burn DVDs of their graphics
>> and animations. It's not even expensive any more.
>
> Heck. You can do this for free, too ;)

Not really. You still have to buy the PC. :-P

>> We are truly living in the future, my friends...
>
> Where's my flying car? XD

Yeah, I'm still wondering about that...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/