POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: scott
Date: 22 Jul 2008 08:19:48
Message: <4885d064@news.povray.org>
> For those who don't memorise such details, let me throw in some technical
> specifications.
>
> - C64: 16 colours available, up to 16 on-screen at once. (Like old VGA.)
>
> - A600: 4,096 colours available (!!), up to 32 on-screen at once.
>
> - C64: monophonic subtractive synthesis, 3 notes polyphonic.
>
> - A600: stereophonic digital playback, 8 bits/sample, arbitrary sampling
> rate (i.e., not just a choice of a few preset rates) up to over 50,000
> samples/second. 4 independent channels. Hardware sample looping.

Looking on Wikipedia, the Amiga A600 was introduced in March 1992.

In September 1991, Acorn launched their A5000 that had a processor with 14x
more MIPS, up to 256 colours on screen at once at 800x600 with no special
trickery, 8 independent sound channels that could be assigned to any stereo
location, 8 bit logarithmic DACs that sounded like 12 bit (apparently) and a
high-density floppy drive as standard (1.6MB).

There again, it was twice the price of the A600...