POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Jul 2008 07:10:51
Message: <4885c03b$1@news.povray.org>

> [...]
> ~ - The 3.5 code was quite different from the 3.1 code (on which
> MegaPov and all community development were based and which was
> pretty old at the time). When 3.5 came out, it required a
> significant investment to port the patches to the new code base and
> most contributors didn't want to spend that time re-doing something
> they had already done just to have to do it again when the next
> version came out (which is one reason why I never ported my
> contributions to the new code base and simply moved to other projects).

Actually the reasons for the MegaPOV development having stopped more or
less is due to a multitude of reasons - the nature of official POV-Ray
development after 3.1 is only one of them.  It made continuous
development of patches more difficult but actually 3.5 and 3.6 both
greatly simplified managing the project (since both times various
important changes were integrated or made obsolete by the official
changes).  Adapting your patches to the changes in the base system for
example would have been no serious problem but it was not done (i
considered it several times but always got other priorities in the way).

Here a list of reasons that are from my perspective the most significant

factors

- change of priorities of several active contributors: Nathan,
Wlodzimierz and myself.
- lack of interest and participation of both developers and
non-developers.  We did not receive much feedback on the patches,
epspecially in the form of active users reporting their experiences and
contributing sample scenes, tutorials etc.  Note this is not meant to
sound disappointed - there are multiple reasons for this like the change

of the software landscape in 3d-CG, the change of mentality in the net
in general and the focus of the patches that were actively developed.  I

don't know if licensing actually plays a significant role here but i
doubt it.
- limitations of the currect internal design of POV-Ray for implementing

interesting features (this is mostly still the case for 3.7 BTW).
- significant changes in some of the primary computer platforms MegaPOV
is used on.  This was of course the Apple switch to Intel hardware but
also the developments on the Windows platform that turned away many
developers (in the end we had no possibility to build a Windows
executable with good performance among the core developers any more).

Note much of the actual patch development has been done by individuals
without much discussion with others - neither private nor public.  This
has been the case both in the old MegaPOV 0.x as well as afterwards.

-- Christoph