POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Jul 2008 03:56:26
Message: <4884412a$1@news.povray.org>

>     Actually, it used to have a reasonably active community of
> contributors (just before 3.5 was released). They didn't contribute
> directly to the core, but instead they contributed to MegaPov. That
> worked because (here we find your two points):
> ~ - Most discussion took place openly on the newsgroups here;
> ~ - Nathan Kopp (who maintained MegaPov at the time) released new
> versions very frequently (including the source).
>
>     When 3.5 came out, all this activity petered out. Among the
> possible reasons are:
> ~ - Nathan got included in the core team and had less time to keep
> releasing MegaPov on the same rythm;

More like: Nathan graduated from university and moved to another city, got a
full-time job and enjoys a real-life ;-)

> ~ - The 3.5 code was quite different from the 3.1 code (on which
> MegaPov and all community development were based and which was
> pretty old at the time). When 3.5 came out, it required a
> significant investment to port the patches to the new code base and
> most contributors didn't want to spend that time re-doing something
> they had already done just to have to do it again when the next
> version came out (which is one reason why I never ported my
> contributions to the new code base and simply moved to other projects).

More like: The code in 3.5 was not substantially different from 3.1 The
problem was that the POV-Team had to spend months over months getting the
MegaPOV patches into a full working order. As it turned out much to the
POV-Team's disappointment, most of them worked only 95% of the time and they
were not production quality. Yet, some problems could not be fixed in finite
time, i.e. that is why sphere-sweeps sing splines have bounding problems.
The bounding algorithm in the original implementation never worked right.
BTW, this bug is relatively well known, yet no external developer ever fixed
it :-(

	Thorsten