POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 Jul 2008 19:30:19
Message: <4883ca8a@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> Yes, this is slightly annoying, though it could be resolved - perhaps by
> perforce co-ordinating with the folks who manage the repos (though I
> imagine that if it's not there yet it's not going to be). It's not that it
> can't be available but that at least in your case (I presume you did a
> apt-cache search?) the repository maintainers chose not to have it.

There are license reasons why Linux distros don't put some programs in their
repositories.

For example, Ubuntu puts povray package in the multiverse category, which
is "Unsupported non-free software". ("universe" is "unsupported free
software", and "main" is "supported free software". This means "supported
by Ubuntu"; software in universe or multiverse is probably still supported
by the developers of that software, of course)