POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who runs an old PC? : Re: Who runs an old PC? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who runs an old PC?
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 Jul 2008 17:56:09
Message: <4883b478@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Athlon XP2400+, with several hand-me-down parts from my PC when I upgrade.
> At the moment I think she has a 19" LCD, nVidia FX5900, a gig of RAM and
> an
> 80GB HD in there.  It started life as my main PC while at university, IIRC
> then it only had 256MB RAM, a tiny 15" CRT and a 12GB hard drive or
> something.

That you call an old PC?

My aunt currently has 256MB of RAM on her computer. Don't remember other
specs.

The (small) hard disk is uselessly split in two partitions, C: is running
low on space, many programs refuse to install on D:. So one day I took a
Ubuntu CD with me (since I already had it) and tried booting it, to run
gparted and try making C bigger and D smaller. After half an hour, I gave
up on trying to boot the disc. Turned out it doesn't boot with so little
RAM. It kept reading stuff from the CD over and over again because it had
0% of cache.

(Some other day I managed to do the partition resize with a dedicated
gparted liveCD, which is *very* lightweight)

My aunt says she'd upgrade the machine, but she promised my cousin (her
daughter) a computer for her own on her next birthday, and she doesn't have
the money to *both* upgrade and buy a new one...