POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : vr technology question : Re: vr technology question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vr technology question
From: Chambers
Date: 20 Jul 2008 13:21:11
Message: <48837407$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> On a whim I spent just a little time poking around with Google to
> investigate how difficult it would be to set up a virtual space with a
> viewpoint that can be zoomed, dollyed, and panned. This could be in a
> browser or in a separate viewer. At first blush it seems that panning
> the camera or rotating an object is easy, also zoom, but dollying the
> camera not so?  Is this true?  Does this function present a particlar
> hurtle that panning and zooming doesn't?  Google maps does it.  Does the
> difficulty increase linearly or exponentially?
>
> -Jim

Sounds like a job for... VRML!!!

It's amazing the problems that were solved before 1995, and then
forgotten about :)

Actually, in looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems it's been
superseded by another format, X3D, which sounds like a cross between
VRML and XML (why is XML used for *everything* these days?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D

...Chambers