POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I have an itch to tinker. : Re: I have an itch to tinker. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I have an itch to tinker.
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 19 Jul 2008 19:03:00
Message: <488272a4$1@news.povray.org>
>> A 3D prototyping printer which uses melted sugar for the media.
>
> Ah yes - every time I read about this I end up wanting to try it. ;-)

I've been thinking of building a RepRap 3D prototyper.
http://www.reprap.org
It's open source hardware, and it can make most of the parts
needed to make another one of itself.

The most current design "Darwin" is based around an Arduino board
with an ATmega processor. http://www.arduino.cc/
The Arduino can use a standard USB for interface and firmware
programming.

Darwin uses stepper motors instead of servos, but there is a
rotary encoder designed for a gearmotor that drives the plastic
extruder.
http://www.reprap.org/bin/view/Main/Magnetic_Rotary_Encoder_1_0
That could be adapted to most DC motors make some sort of
servo. It's also possible to salvage the encoder wheel out of an
old style mouse.

Kai has built an etch-a-sketch plotter...
http://blog.tinyharvest.com/2008/07/reprap-protoseedling-toy-2d-plotter.html

-----
http://olytim.blogspot.com/