POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Using povray library : Re: Using povray library Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:57:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using povray library
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Jul 2008 04:15:21
Message: <4881a299$1@news.povray.org>
AIV Developer wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>> AIV Developer wrote:
>>> Would this be easily possible with povray libs? Any pointers will be
>>> appreciated.
>> POV-Ray is not a library. What you want to do cannot be done with any
>> existing POV-Ray.
>>
>>  Thorsten
>
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I am aware that it is not "just a library", but it appears to have several
> nicely separated layers of libraries, like libbase, libbackend, etc. I was
> thinking that those might be used with a simple(r) frontend written by
> the users.

These are not libraries, they have that odd name because someone is
compiling the individual parts as libraries and then links them together.
They are neither libraries nor are they meant to be. It is just an artifact
of how they are built. I guess you are looking at the Linux version as these
names do not exist on either the Windows or Mac versions of POV-Ray. I
realize this might be confusing, but it is the way it is ... I will see if
it can be changed.

	Thorsten, POV-Team