POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conserving memory... : Re: Speaking of conserving memory... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conserving memory...
From: somebody
Date: 18 Jul 2008 17:07:06
Message: <488105fa$1@news.povray.org>
news:4880f9f3$1@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:

> > No. If there was a leak, they wouldn't have reduced the memory footprint
by
> > 50%.

> Clearly the article *does* say they got rid of leaks and inefficiencies
> both. :-)

That's not clear to me. Note that "unreleased resources" ...etc need not be
leaks.

It just doesn't make sense to me to be able to claim a 50% reduction in
memory in a leaky application, unless they halved the leaks as well instead
of eliminating them <g>

> Some leaks just aren't big enough to worry about, tho.

True, typically in interactive applications where user interaction
limitation sets an upper bound on leak rate.